ESL / ELL
Certified teachers of English Speakers of Other Languages work in conjunction with instructional aides and classroom teachers to provide comprehensive instruction in the English language, content areas, and cultural awareness.
To meet the needs of our students, the ESL program:
- promotes growth in English language proficiency;
- enhances cognitive development;
- facilitates academic achievement;
- encourages cultural and social adjustment.
- comprehensive ESL instruction in all language skills: reading, writing, listening and speaking, and critical thinking;
- content area instruction that is academically challenging and integrated with the GPS content curriculum but tailored to the student’s linguistic proficiency, educational background and academic needs;
- professional learning for all staff members to help them facilitate the academic growth of linguistically and culturally diverse students.
Please click for more information on the Greenwich Public Schools ESOL and ELL programs.